The Colony of Camelot
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Colony News, Personal Logs and Mission Logs

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

It was the Logical thing to do.

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Vincent Viceroy
Admin

It was the Logical thing to do. Empty
PostSubject: It was the Logical thing to do.   It was the Logical thing to do. EmptyThu Jan 03, 2013 7:21 pm

Standing on a retaining wall I looked down at the river thirty feet below me. It was late and the dark water glistened in the last rays of the sun. The river beckoned me. Like a long lost family member, arms outstretched it called to me. A gust of wind came up my back as if to prod me along. And I was so ready. Ready to give in. Ready to give up. Ready to put it all oh so far behind me.

The last month had wrought the end of Stone Energy. My folly in trying to gain the secret of the artifact had done me in. I had gambled it all and lost, like a ignorant fool at a Ferengi Dabo table. The time distortions had taken away my daughter. Brought my wife back to life and tossed her into the arms of my best friend. Who wasn’t my best friend anymore. With the loss of the mines to the Romulans, and the collapse of the business, they took a star ship back to Earth.

I was left on this rock with….nothing.

I felt in my pocket, nothing. Not a credit to my name any longer. Even the landlord of the apartment had thrown me out the day before. I’d spent last night… homeless.

A sound caught my ear. Like singing. Coming from the water. I took a step closer. Not so far. I would hit the water in what, four seconds. The water was just above freezing, the pain would be quick. And then it would be over.

There was a crunching sound behind me and I turned, looking over my shoulder. The wind burned my eyes, making them water and I could not make out the person standing off behind me. Then, slowly it came to me. That huge gold man running the Bistro downtown.. We just looked at each other for minute. I rubbed my eyes to clear away the tears from the wind. It was the wind I told myself. No reason for such emotion. It was logical…wasn’t it?

“Not really a pretty view.” he said at last. I looked back over the river, I was in the heart of an industrial section. The sun had slipped below the horizon and the cranes along the river bank looked like giant insects, waiting on their prey for the night. “You should have seen the Covington River on the old colony. It was beautiful at night.” he said.

I shrugged. “Never saw it.”

“Shame. Its gone now. But… So many other wonders to see. So much to do… Mr. Stone.”

So, he did remember me. I guess he was intent to save me. Shame. Didn’t he realize I was so far past saving. I shook my head. “If only I had time.. Mr. Xon isn’t’ it?:

“Just Xon.” he took a tentative step closer. “Time, Mr. Stone…time is all you have.”

“Tell me about it.” I laughed, the tension of the moment breaking a bit. “But to use it Xon. You need what I don’t have.”

“What? What don’t you have Mr. Stone.? Money.” he shook his head. “That is just an obstacle. One easily overcome.”

“Easily said by a man with a going business.”

He took another step closer and I realized if I was to carry out my intention, I would be forced to act soon. And then the silly giant was likely to jump in after me and attempt some heroics.

To my left I heard another movement and out of the shadows , of all people Captain Leo appeared, phaser drawn. “Mr. Stone. We’ve been looking for you for hours. Why don’t you take a step back. Come on, we’ll all to have some diner, toss back a few drinks, and re-evaluate our circumstances..”

I laughed so hard my sides hurt. “Circumstances? Seriously? I’ve lost more money than many worlds produce in a year. My company is gone. My life is in ruins. And I am ….so…..tired.”

I turned to the river. Its peace called to me and I could not resist any longer. And then it all went black.

When I awoke I was in the back of a hover car. The buildings streaked by in splashes of light and shadow. I heard voices in the front seat but it took a moment for me to recognize them. It was Captain Leo driving, and the strange man Xon beside him.

“Where are you taking me?” I finally forced out of my throat.

Xon turned around. “Back from the dead are we?”

“You shot me.”

Captain Leo grunted. “I did indeed.”

“I could have fallen into the river.”

“Well that was your intent wasn’t it? As it was I figured I had a fifty fifty chance. As it was….. I won. You lost. You’re mine for now.”

I groaned. “Where are you taking me?”

“To my place.” Xon smiled.

‘Hump.” I sat up. ‘Sorry to tell you this, but I know nothing of the restaurant business.”

“Really? Well then, I’ll have to find something else for you to do then.”

The car got quiet, I was out of energy to talk, they were out of conversation. Half an hour later we were on the other side of town and the car pulled into an alley. Leo and Xon climbed out and helped me up onto my feet. Facing a door with the name RICK’s beside it I thought of the old saying, one door closes, another opens.

“Ricks, wasn’t that from some old Earth movie?”

Xon smiled. “come on. We’ll watch it while we eat. Some lessons to be learned, even by a smart man such as yourself.”

Back to top Go down
https://omegacolony.forumotion.net

It was the Logical thing to do.
Page 1 of 1