The Colony of Camelot
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Colony News, Personal Logs and Mission Logs

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

The Cost of Failure

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Vincent Viceroy
Admin

The Cost of Failure Empty
PostSubject: The Cost of Failure   The Cost of Failure EmptySun Feb 27, 2011 7:38 am

Star Base 157 is the closest Federation Outpost to the former outpost 394. As such it saw a lot of traffic, ships from the Klingon Empire as well as the rare Romulan visit. Over a dozen inhabitable planets were within a parsec so SB157 was a busy place.

Rana entered Vernichi's, a high end restaurant, looking to enjoy a last special meal before heading back, working her way deeper into Federation Space. Heads turned as the Matri'de led her to a table next to a window. Rana was beyond mere striking. Her long blonde hair fell past her shoulders in the most stylish cut, her blouse and short skirt custom made by the most sought after designers of Sector 1. She knew most of the men and in fact some of the women watched her every move, and she relished it. She worked hard at it. Both in personal training and in the expense of her wardrobe. Wouldn't they be shocked, she thought to herself, if they knew what she did for a living.

The Waiter delivered a glass of Cherox 54, took her order for Bullston Steak, very rare and then she leaned back to enjoy the view of the sunset. As the light disappeared beyond the distant horizon she pulled out a data pad and pulled up the latest news broadcasts from the sector. ONN went on about the endless, meaningless speeches at the Convention Center on the Phoenix colony. Then an Entertainment News show came on. She was about to cut it off when the anchor person started a story about T'Soull.
She picked the pad in haste, turning up the volume.

"Mary, it's being reported that Mr. Maxwell Fren manager of the Pop Star T'Soull has been found dead, murdered in his hotel suite in the Omega Hilton. An unidentified woman was found outside the hotel, under Mr. Frens 20th floor room, apparently she jumped to her death. Captain Leo of the Omega Police has not released a statement as of yet, but unconfirmed reports are the police believe this is murder/suicide. At the same time the Pop Star "T'Soull has gone missing."

The shows anchor asked. "No one knows where she is?"

"Mary, it's a complete mystery. It was reported she has been playing a small club here...uh...RICKS, to polish some new material before heading back to her larger engagements. The police are not saying anything on the subject."

"Well, I'm sure her fans are anxious to find out where she is and when her tour will resume."

Rana cut off the data pad, her pulse racing. This was the worst possible news. As she was the one that recommended Mr. Fren to the CEO of ANI Services, Graham Nash. And she knew Nash well enough to know that his disappointment would not stop at Fren.

"Damn." she muttered under her breath. The credits she had earned for finders fees, not just from Nash, but quite a few others over the last six months was substantial.

The steak arrived, but Rana had lost her appetite. Making her apologies she paid the bill and quickly made her way to the space port. She was sure it was best to put as much distance between herself and the Phoenix Colony as possible.

As she walked up to her personal ship, Fred, a mechanic dropped from under the hull, wiping his hands.

"Ms. Rana." he smiled. "Wasn't expecting you till tomorrow morning."

"Uh....something has come up. Schedules been changed.. She ready to go?" she said nervously.

He turned and looked back. "Oh yea...just finished. I don't' know were you got those new Phase cannons. Mr. Rana. But I sure wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of those things!"

Rana started for the hatch. 'Well, it's a lonely place out there, and a girl has be careful."

"You're right about that Ms. Rana. You be careful out there. Anything I can do for you next time you pass by,....you let me know."

"I will Fred...Thanks." she said, the closing hatch almost cutting her off.

As she began powering up, getting clearance from the Port Control, Fred sauntered off the tarmac and pulled a com unit from his pocket. When he ended the call he headed off to clean up and have himself a grand night on the town.

Six hours later, cruising at Warp 5 Rana was starting to feel a little better. With each passing hour the danger was beginning to diminish. Then the alarms started going off. She rushed up to the cockpit, looking over the scanner. There was a ship, approaching fast. And out here that could only mean one thing.

She disengaged the autopilot and took the helm. Increased speed to warp 7, the best her ship could do.

But he tail was still catching up.

"Shit!" she swore. It was going to be a fight. Well then. Seems she'd get to see how well those new Foster Phase Cannons were sooner than she had hoped. Powering up the weapons systems her finger hovered over the Cannon power switch for an instant. The pressing of the system button the last thing she ever did. Instantly there was a power flow back to the impulse engines that always were on line to power life support. The backwash overwhelmed the engines and they exploded, sending bits of Rana and Rana's ship in all directions. The pursuing ship slowed and made a 180, back to SB 157, its mission complete.

Nicole Branson looked at Captian Leo on the monitor. "What do you mean she's disappeared?"

Roberts whiskers twitched. "I'm sorry Chancellor, There simply no trace of her."

"And the woman. What's that story.."

"The woman....uh.. Medical examiner has not yet released his report. We are pretty certain this is murder suicide. Apparently Mr. Fren had a relationship with the woman and she must have thought there was something more than just business between Fren and T'Soull."

Nicole listened. But didn't believe a word of it. "Ok Captain. But if I find out Dinn had anything to do with this...so help me."

"Chancellor...I've got it under control."

"You better. I don't need this kind of publicity for the Colony. Not now."

The com unit went black and Robert looked over at Marcus lying on his sofa in his office.

"Have I?" the Caitian asked.

"What?" Marucs moaned.

"Got it under control."

"You will... soon. I promise."

Robert held the medical closer over the puncture wound on Marcus leg.

"Yea, like you promised to keep me in the loop."

Marcus Dinn
Owner of RICKS and Oz
Phoenix Colony
Phoenix Federation

Captain Robert Leo

Chancellor Nicole Branson

Back to top Go down
https://omegacolony.forumotion.net

The Cost of Failure
Page 1 of 1